I recently quit my full time retail management job to focus on Rockabillybettie's Retro Re-Do, which for those who don't know is my Etsy and Facebook shop where I make and sell 1950s reproduction clothing. ( I take custom orders too!) That may seem crazy to some, but it seemed crazy to me to go to a job I hate day after day, where I had to dress like a schlub and deal with men asking me creepy questions about the adult novelty products in the back corner rather than devote myself to what I love to do and try to get somewhere with it. It's the American dream, right? Hee hee.
I'll give you a bit of back story:
I have been sewing and designing since I was a little kid. It started with Barbie clothes, of course, because I thought Barbie really could do with a more tailored look. Then I moved on to making my own clothes- I have been a thrift store junkie since I was 13, and I loved vintage clothes. But finding them to fit a 13 year old didn't always work so I would construct my own by upcycling things. From there I just kept going, and improving..until eventually here I am making Nifty Fifties repros!
I should mention, too, that if it weren't for my wonderful mummsy who patiently taught me to sew I never would have even ventured in this territory!
OK, that's enough of that- I don't want to bore you all to death.
So anywho, here I am at home with my kids making clothes and cleaning and cooking and feeling all domestic and even finding time for this blog business- life is good! Thanks to all my supporters, and welcome to all my new friends! Stick around- I have a lot in store for you dolls in the New Year!
![]() |
| My family and I at Christmas- the main reason for working from home! |
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/RockabillybettiesRetroRedo

No comments:
Post a Comment